10 SIMPLE MISTAKES SHIP NAVIGATORS MAKE THAT CAN LEAD TO ACCIDENTS
By Capt. Do Ngoc Hoai
Some navigation accidents are originated from very simple mistakes of negligence of navigators, that sometimes sounded as humor stories.
Below is several of such stories.
1. Be Careful with Using VHF Communication for Collision Avoidance
2. Check the Helmsman Always While Navigating with Hand Steering
3. Don’t Solely Rely on Radar
4. Radar Target Must Always Be Verified Visually
5. Don’t Solely Depend on Safety Management System
6. Read the Buoys Carefully
7. Always Monitor the Rudder Angle
8. Hourly Compass Error Records in Log Book – Not for Achievement
9. GPS Position in Coastal Water – Be Careful
10. Chart Correction and Updating – To Be Done in Required Manner